WHAT IS THE PROJECT TALOS
The project TALOS (Thunder and Lightning Observing System) of the National Observatory of Athens, is a Greek Research project, funded by the Greek Secretariat for Research and Technology in the frame of Excellency call for proposals. The main objectives of TALOS are:
- An analysis of lightning activity over the Mediterranean and Greece, based on 10 year data (2005- 2014) provided by NOA ZEUS lightning detection network (isokeraunic maps at various time scales, daily maps, etc.).
- An investigation of lightning activity in relation with physiographic characteristics of the area (terrain height, slope, vegetation type), as well as in relation with aerosol concentrations.
- An operational tool for nowcasting/very short-term forecasting of lightning activity over Greece, based on ZEUS data and METEOSAT cloud imagery. This tool will provide real-time information on the lightning activity over Greece, while application of a lightning-tracking algorithm will allow providing very short-term forecasting (1 hour) of thunderstorm propagation.
- An operational tool for forecasting lightning activity over Europe and Greece for the next 72 hours.
- A methodology, implementation and validation of a lightning assimilation technique applied to weather models with the aim to improve the quantitative precipitation forecasts.